Friday, October 9, 2009

Busted Claim 1

The first out of many claims of support for the “End of the World: 2012” prophecy is the claim of an increase in solar flares and solar storms and their effect. I will start off by saying it is an unquestionable fact that the number of sunspots have increased over the past 11 years and seem to be slowly increasing. The theory of how sunspots relate to this prophecy is that it is estimated between 2011-2012 the sun will be in its solar maximum cycle. This is no cause for alarm because the last solar maximum occurred in 2000, and obviously I am still here today writing my blog and you are here reading it. But this particular maximum has everyone worried. My guess is that this fact along with the prophecy has people looking for some way to talk about the end of the world without sounding like a complete lunatic. I do not understand why everyone is trying so hard to predict the end of the world. If the world should truly end, do you think that since they knew how it ended they will be spared? Or would the personal satisfaction will overcome the fear of perishing? To these questions, I have no answer. I respect valuable scientific backing and the unsupported idea that this maximum cycle will be extremely different from the last cycle with no scientific data supporting this claim, I cannot respect this. In the next blog, I will look at another factor that is deemed supporting the theory and until I come across an indisputable fact that point towards oblivion then I cannot help but be skeptical.

http://dsc.discovery.com/space/my-take/solar-storm-sten-odenwald.html

2 comments:

  1. You make a point. Why are people trying so hard to predict the end of the world? It's not like they can tell others that they were right. In fact, WHO are they going to tell and HOW are they going to tell...because they will perish along with the world.

    Figuring out the end of the world is not like figuring out your next vacation. You will not know what to pack and most importantly, you will have no idea where you are going...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make some very good points. I think being skeptical is good now, but do you think the end of the world is possible. I guess anything is possible.

    Other than giving evidence to support this theory where are you going?

    ReplyDelete