Monday, October 12, 2009

Response to RH

In response to the comment by RH on my second blog, I plan to, in the next couple of blogs, identify what some believers of this prophecy believe to be concrete facts that support this claim and, with science and research, accurately describe why these facts are not as sound as they may first appear. Then, describe more generally, the effect of such prophecies on the public and in what situations are such outrageous claims more apt to penetrate the conscience and logical minds of humans. I believe that people in certain environments and states of logical development are more likely to believe extreme assertions than others in different environments and more advanced stages of logical development. I think it will be really interesting to see, scientifically, the ways that the brain reasons and the factors that contribute to gaining acceptance from the mind. Also, I would like to conclude my blog with enough scientific facts to hopefully quiet the seemingly loud and obnoxious claims of anarchy that will, in turn, emerge our society in disorder and chaos. My goal is for my blog to be a beacon that will remind people of reason and hopefully lessen the amount of hearsay and hocus pocus that seems to excite people and at the same time scare them to death. I think over time people forget the vast importance of reason and its essential role in everything that we do, see, or think. Our society in the United States has become so great due to reason and to denounce its value now would be a disgrace to everything that we, as democratic, free Americans, stand for.

2 comments:

  1. I am really excited to see where you go. The thought of life ending is scary. I do not want to know when I am going to die. Anything is possible, but to me this theory seems to cause panic than good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is certainly interesting to see how reason can be used to debunk the "myths" of an apocalyptic end to our world. Yet, the fact that the idea of an apocalypse - in spite of its supposed irrational absurdity - is nonetheless a topic of interest to many made me wonder if you could explore the larger reasons behind people's fascination with this phenomenon. Are there social factors at play here (periods of societal crisis coinciding with greater interest in the end of the world, maybe?), or are people just intrinsically fascinated with the idea of death? And is there a demographic trend to this? In essence, what is the function of apocalyptic beliefs in society? These are just some questions which I feel you may or may not want to consider in the development of your blog.

    ReplyDelete